Cabo San Lucas Golfing
Cabo San Lucas is quickly becoming one of the hottest golf destinations in the world. In the last decade, over 10 public and private championship golf course clubs have opened there doors to golfers looking for a unique experience. The combination between an optimal desert climate available over 300 days per year and the stunning views of the Sierra Madre mountains, Sea of Cortez, Pacific Ocean, and Land’s End, there are not many places in the world that can provide a better golfing experience. Whether you are new to the world of golf or have been playing for decades, golfing in Cabo San Lucas is a great time for everyone. The courses provide unique and challenging holes that will always leave you breathless with the surrounding flora and picturesque views. If you are planning a trip to Baja, do not pass up an opportunity to play on one of the popular Los Cabos golf courses. There is a reason why Golf Digest named Los Cabos one of the world’s top 15 golf destinations.
Where to Golf?
- Palmilla Golf Club – 6,900 yards, Par 72: The 27 hole Jack Nicklaus signature course is by far the most picturesque golf experience in all of Los Cabos. Located in San Jose Del Cabo, three 9-hole courses (Arroyo Nine, Mountain Nine, and Ocean Nine) sprawl across the desert landscape with panoramic views of the Sea of Cortez. Greens fees range from $140 in the offseason up to $220 during peak season. If you tee off for a “Twilight” game, the rates range from $80-$160, an amazing value for the gorgeous layout and challenging course at Palmilla. http://www.palmillagc.com
- The Dunes Golf Course at Diamante – 7,300 yards, Par 72: The latest and greatest addition to the lineup of championship golf courses in Los Cabos is the Diamante at the Dunes. The course opened in 2010 and was designed by 20-time PGA tour winner Davis Love III. Just six miles north of Cabo San Lucas, the course is situated on giant white sandy dunes mixed with the picturesque desert landscape of Cabo and views of the Pacific Ocean. The ocean front golf course is one of the top rated grand openings in the world for 2010. With a slope of 146 and an often windy environment, this is one of the most challenging courses in all of Cabo. Greens fees for this brand new championship course will cost between $200-$275. http://www.diamantecabosanlucas.com/
- Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course – 7,103 yards, Par 72: The top rated golf course in the Los Cabos area is another Jack Nicklaus signature course. Nicklaus designed his own Pebble Beach on the gorgeous coast of Baja California overlooking the Sea of Cortez. The 5th and 17th holes are consistently ranked in the world’s best and the mile long course offers the most spectacular ocean views. Green fees range from as low as $180 in the summer and $355 during high season. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_ocean.html
- Cabo Del Sol Desert Course – 7,100 yards, Par 72: This is the second highest rated golf course in the Los Cabos corridor and was masterfully designed by Tom Weiskopf. The unique layout covers the picturesque Baja desert and every hole offers ocean views in the distance. The challenging course has multiple elevation changes and dramatic bunkering to make it an exciting day of golf for even the most experienced golfers. Greens fees range from $150-$255, making it one of the best golf values in Cabo. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_desert.html
- Cabo Real Golf Cub – 7,037 yards, Par 72: Robert Trent Jones II created a masterpiece with the Cabo Real golf course that is home to the toughest front nine of golf in Los Cabos. Home to two PGA Senior Slams and several other prestigious golf tournaments, the course is famous for having a spectacular show from grey whales breaching just offshore during the 1996 Senior Slam. This course is a must visit destination for any avid golfer. Greens fees range from $140-$280 depending on the time of day and year. http://www.caboreal.com/Cabo_Real/Golf.html
- Puerto Los Cabos Golf Club – 7,461 yards, Par 73: Two of the world’s best golf course designers worked to create one of the newest and most challenging courses in Cabo. Opening only in 2007, the Gerg Norman designed front nine will be the private course winding through the desert landscape while the Jack Nicklaus Signature 9 hole course will be open to guests and finish of the 18 hole championship course overlooking the vast Sea of Cortez. Golfers will be able to experience the difference in design philosophies from the two legendary designers. Greens fees range from $150-$195. http://www.puertoloscabos.com/golf.php
- Club Campestre San Jose Golf Course – 7,055 yards, Par 71: Another championship golf course surrounded by picture perfect vistas of Los Cabos and the Sea of Cortez. Designed by Jack Nicklaus and opened in 2007, the challenging course offers panoramic views, dramatic elevation changes, and 365 days of Baja California sunshine. The course is also the first to feature the paspalum grass that remains healthier in the Cabo desert climate. Greens fees range from $135-$220 but keep an eye out for special promotions. http://www.clubcampestresanjose.com/en/campo-de-golf-san-jose-del-cabo.html
- El Dorado Golf Club – 7,050 yards, Par 72: A private golf club designed by the master himself Jack Nicklaus and located beachfront in Cabo San Lucas. The stunning ocean and lake views from all 18 holes have made this one of the top rated private golf clubs in the world and the difficult terrain make it challenging for even the best golfers. Greens fees start at $168 and go up to $246 during peak season. http://www.eldoradogolfandbeachclub.com/golf/
- Cabo San Lucas Country Club – 7,220 yards, Par 72: A Dye designed 18-hole golf course famous for its views of the popular Land’s End Arch. The breathtaking course flows through groves of Palo Blanco trees and stately Cardon cacti, providing a serene desert landscape. The beauty of the course is equally matched by its difficulty, highlighted by the 610 yard, par 5, hole number 7. The country club not only offers one of the finest locations with Land’s End views, but also some of the best greens fees in all of Cabo. You can play a few rounds during your vacation with greens fees ranging from $109-$185 and as low as $79 during twilight hours. http://www.golfincabo.com/
- Mayan Palace Golf Los Cabos – 3,141 yards, Par 35: A great alternative to the numerous championship courses nearby is the short 9 hole municipal course that offers a fun golfing experience for beginner-intermediate golfers. The course is situated right in the heart of San Jose Del Cabo and has great views of the Sea of Cortez. The greens fees are the cheapest in all of Los Cabos at only $54-$100/person but make sure to plan in advance because it is often crowded. http://www.cabo-golfing.com/campo-de-golf-fonatur.htm
- Querencia Private Golf Club – 7,070 yards, Par 72: One of the world leading designers, Tom Fazio, created a masterpiece that incorporates nature and expansive ocean views in what was his first championship golf course outside the United States. Located in the Los Cabos corridor with a slope of 145, the course winds throughout the hilly coast and creates a very private feeling amongst the nature. The course is perfect from hole one through 18, with spectacular views from every hole. The private club requires an annual membership.
What it cost: Green fees and other costs will add up to around $200-$300 during peak season but you can find rates for under $100 at the best courses during “twilight” hours. Golf club rentals will cost about $40 and extra fees will include taxes and gratuity that are not included in the price. Be sure to plan on food and beverage expenses as well, you will want a few cervezas throughout the day especially once it heats up.
Cabo Golf Tips
- International Golf Card: Save money in advance by signing up for the International Golf Card. With the membership, you will be able to save up to 20% at several of the popular Cabo San Lucas golf courses like Campo Del Golf and Club Campestre. If you just play two rounds of golf or more in Los Cabos per year, this card will save you money.
- Extra Golf Balls: Unlike your favorite golf course at home, most of the golf courses in Cabo San Lucas are very challenging and will eat up your golf balls extremely fast. With cliffs, lakes, oceans, cactus, and much more, you should plan on losing a few golf balls. Before heading out for the day, buy a few extra balls.
- Skip the summer heat: Summer is a great time to travel to Cabo San Lucas, but the midday heat can be a little extreme for a round of golf. If you are vacationing during July or August, be sure to book the earliest tee time possible and you will likely have perfect weather. Hustle back to your resort’s pool by the time the heat really kicks in around 2pm.
- Dress Code: The standard golf club dress code still applies in Cabo San Lucas so be sure to pack the right outfit or plan on buying clothes when you arrive in town. Just because you can go everywhere else in board shorts doesn’t mean you can play golf in them.
Booking through Destination Vacations made everything so easy. Our transportation from the airport was waiting for us when we arrived and the resort was beautiful! Everyone there was so nice and accommodating. We would definitely book through Destination Vacations again! Thanks again for your help.
Joan Cearley, Olympia, WA
You did it again. As you know we are frequent visitors to Los Cabos and the surrounding area. Since this was going to be a longer trip I felt I should give you a call for the best deal at our favorite Vill del Arco. Once again you did a great job! From the incredibly reliable service of transportation to and from the resort to the room itself, everything was perfect. Knowing a bit about the resort I was able to secure a top floor room near the penthouse for a small upgrade fee which due to your incredible rates made perfect sense. We also added the "All Inclusive" to our stay upon arrival and were very, very pleased with our decision, it really is all inclusive!
Villa del Arco and really all the Villa properties are very well managed and the rooms are always very clean, not to mention the incredible staff. All the way from the groundskeepers to the management.
We will be calling again soon because unlike other travel providers to Cabo you go above and beyond to make your clients stay, as easy and relaxing as possible.
Can't thank you enough.
Craig L., Farmington, NM
It was a wonderful trip Bob, made better by the quality of the resort and all aspects of the service from booking the trip through to landing back home.
We won't hesitate to turn to you again in the future.
A few things I thought worthy of comment:
-The vendors on the beach were as pervasive as ants at a picnic, but without exception were polite and deferred to a restated no, thank you.
-Service everywhere, on property and off, was excellent, with the occasional slowness I hope people would expect of a vacation destination.
-The food at La Perla and poolside was very good.
-The food at the Italian restaurant at La Palmar was okay, but not worth the walk from VDA.
-I wish the resort had informed us that the Japanese restaurant was closed on Thursday.
-People should be encouraged to take the drive to Todos Los Santos, if they have a car. The drive is desert pretty, but very much under construction. The town, once you get there, is beautiful and worth the investment of the drive. Early evening dinner in the courtyard at the Hotel California was fabulous.
-The Office restaurant is a must do. Much better in the evening, but good for lunch too.
-Really enjoyed the food at Pancho's. Didn't need any of the 575 tequilas, but loved the frozen coconut ice cream dessert.
-Costco is, down to every detail, a pure execution of an American Costco store.
-Walmart is a true Mexican adaption based of the Walmart theme.
-For good tennis (courts, pros and staff), you can't beat Palmilla Tennis. Its a hike from VDA, but if you have competitive players with you who need the workout, it's a good place to go.
-One thing I noticed, maybe due to my lack of Spanish language skills, was that I had a very hard time determining addresses for things. Asking Google Maps for directions without them, is hard.
Again, we loved it and we'll keep going back. Thanks for your help Bob.
Greetings!! I must say that I had THE best time in Cabo recently. I booked my stay through this website and everything, and I mean everything, was perfect!! The price was unbeatable, first of all. The transportation that we booked couldn't have worked out better. The driver was right there waiting for us once we got off of the plane. The drive was smooth, the driver was pleasant and very informative. We were lucky and just missed the storm, so the weather was really nice. Humid, but nice.
I have never written a review for anything before. I had to make certain to do that this time. It was our first time staying in Cabo. Check-in went smoothly, and, the best part, our room. It exceeded our expectations. It was just like the pictures. We had the perfect veiw and the accomodations were wonderful. Bob, on behalf of my party of 4, I would like to say Muchisimas Gracias! for helping us have an AWESOME vacation. I have already been spreading the word about this website and the Villa Del Arco to all of my friends and co-workers. The hotel is gorgeous!! We are already planning our next getaway for Cabo. We want the bigger room with the spa on the balcony. That just sounds so relaxing. I can't wait. Thanks again
Jessalyn Starks, Califonis
Our vacation was amazing! The accomodations and service at Estancia were fabulous- just 2 negative comments. La Casona steakhouse has terrible service and no one to complain to with their lack of English speaking employees. I will say that the gentleman who escorted us to our villa worned us when we walked by! The other issue was the food and beverage plan that we chose, $89 per day per person for a minimum of 3 days and when we went to renew they changed the rules on us. Neither was even enough to dampen our spirits. We loved the entire experience, would definitely stay on the property again and will recommend you and Destination Cabo to our friends.
Cathy Schwab, Leawood Kansas
Thank you Bob. Everything worked out perfect. Starting with transportation from the airport, to the amazing 2-bedroom suite with beautiful views, the pool, restaurants, and very friendly service of the staff. The six of us in the suite had all-inclusive, and that is the only way to go. We will be calling you for our next Cabo trip. Hopefully soon!!
Laura A., Hanford, CA
Our stay at Villa Los Arcos was excellent. The food was exceptional (and even though our package was a special offer that did not include any costs for the inclusive package, I would recommend the inclusive package to anyone planning a vacation there, as it eliminated a lot of headaches such as meal planning, taxi fares and having to watch every nickel). With 3 hungry teenagers along for the trip, this was totally the way to go. The accommodations were outstanding, in excellent repair, and the staff at Los Arcos was friendly and accommodating. Of the three resorts that are all in the same area, I found the staff at Los Arcos to be the friendliest. The staff at the sister neighboring resort (I can't recall the name) were not nearly as outgoing and friendly, possibly because of the genre those resort were more geared to (younger kids and parents).
Thanks for lining us up with this package. It was an outstanding price and a great deal.
John T., Benicia, CA
We had great time and fell in love with the resort and the area. All resort personnel we dealt with was very courteous and attentive. The accommodations were worth every penny, thanks to you. We are definitely looking to go back there, perhaps, March or April of 2015.
Irina S., Staten Island, NY
Thank you for arranging our stay at Villa Del Arco/Villa La Estancia. We have visited Cabo several times, and have always stayed at La Estancia, but this last stay was the easiest and best vacation, largely due to you. You had the ability to work out a vacation for us on the exact dates we needed, which I could not do on my own through VRBO or other sources. I will definitely call you the next time we plan to visit Cabo, which will hopefully be next year at this time.
The car service we arranged through your contacts was very good and reliable. The driver was very pleasant and had a plethora of information for us about the area.
My family had never stayed at Del Arco before. I can honestly say that Del Arco was equally as beautiful and comfortable as La Estancia. We will gladly stay at either resort in the future.
I can also honestly say that in the future I will save my time and call you directly instead of trying to work a deal through VRBO. Your rates are competitive and your resource of the large number of units you represent makes trip details easily arrangeable.
Thank you for the wonderful Christmas trip.
Kurtis and Rory
Kurtis & Rory , Lubbuck, TX
Hi Bob, the trip was great. The resort gave us a free upgrade to a suite with a full kitchen and separate master bedroom. And the back patio was huge and we had a hot tub in the backyard area. It was incredible. We never sat through any sales pitches. Just had a great time. Thanks for everything. Melynda
Melynda, Austin, TX