Cabo San Lucas Golfing
Cabo San Lucas is quickly becoming one of the hottest golf destinations in the world. In the last decade, over 10 public and private championship golf course clubs have opened there doors to golfers looking for a unique experience. The combination between an optimal desert climate available over 300 days per year and the stunning views of the Sierra Madre mountains, Sea of Cortez, Pacific Ocean, and Land’s End, there are not many places in the world that can provide a better golfing experience. Whether you are new to the world of golf or have been playing for decades, golfing in Cabo San Lucas is a great time for everyone. The courses provide unique and challenging holes that will always leave you breathless with the surrounding flora and picturesque views. If you are planning a trip to Baja, do not pass up an opportunity to play on one of the popular Los Cabos golf courses. There is a reason why Golf Digest named Los Cabos one of the world’s top 15 golf destinations.
Where to Golf?
- Palmilla Golf Club – 6,900 yards, Par 72: The 27 hole Jack Nicklaus signature course is by far the most picturesque golf experience in all of Los Cabos. Located in San Jose Del Cabo, three 9-hole courses (Arroyo Nine, Mountain Nine, and Ocean Nine) sprawl across the desert landscape with panoramic views of the Sea of Cortez. Greens fees range from $140 in the offseason up to $220 during peak season. If you tee off for a “Twilight” game, the rates range from $80-$160, an amazing value for the gorgeous layout and challenging course at Palmilla. http://www.palmillagc.com
- The Dunes Golf Course at Diamante – 7,300 yards, Par 72: The latest and greatest addition to the lineup of championship golf courses in Los Cabos is the Diamante at the Dunes. The course opened in 2010 and was designed by 20-time PGA tour winner Davis Love III. Just six miles north of Cabo San Lucas, the course is situated on giant white sandy dunes mixed with the picturesque desert landscape of Cabo and views of the Pacific Ocean. The ocean front golf course is one of the top rated grand openings in the world for 2010. With a slope of 146 and an often windy environment, this is one of the most challenging courses in all of Cabo. Greens fees for this brand new championship course will cost between $200-$275. http://www.diamantecabosanlucas.com/
- Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course – 7,103 yards, Par 72: The top rated golf course in the Los Cabos area is another Jack Nicklaus signature course. Nicklaus designed his own Pebble Beach on the gorgeous coast of Baja California overlooking the Sea of Cortez. The 5th and 17th holes are consistently ranked in the world’s best and the mile long course offers the most spectacular ocean views. Green fees range from as low as $180 in the summer and $355 during high season. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_ocean.html
- Cabo Del Sol Desert Course – 7,100 yards, Par 72: This is the second highest rated golf course in the Los Cabos corridor and was masterfully designed by Tom Weiskopf. The unique layout covers the picturesque Baja desert and every hole offers ocean views in the distance. The challenging course has multiple elevation changes and dramatic bunkering to make it an exciting day of golf for even the most experienced golfers. Greens fees range from $150-$255, making it one of the best golf values in Cabo. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_desert.html
- Cabo Real Golf Cub – 7,037 yards, Par 72: Robert Trent Jones II created a masterpiece with the Cabo Real golf course that is home to the toughest front nine of golf in Los Cabos. Home to two PGA Senior Slams and several other prestigious golf tournaments, the course is famous for having a spectacular show from grey whales breaching just offshore during the 1996 Senior Slam. This course is a must visit destination for any avid golfer. Greens fees range from $140-$280 depending on the time of day and year. http://www.caboreal.com/Cabo_Real/Golf.html
- Puerto Los Cabos Golf Club – 7,461 yards, Par 73: Two of the world’s best golf course designers worked to create one of the newest and most challenging courses in Cabo. Opening only in 2007, the Gerg Norman designed front nine will be the private course winding through the desert landscape while the Jack Nicklaus Signature 9 hole course will be open to guests and finish of the 18 hole championship course overlooking the vast Sea of Cortez. Golfers will be able to experience the difference in design philosophies from the two legendary designers. Greens fees range from $150-$195. http://www.puertoloscabos.com/golf.php
- Club Campestre San Jose Golf Course – 7,055 yards, Par 71: Another championship golf course surrounded by picture perfect vistas of Los Cabos and the Sea of Cortez. Designed by Jack Nicklaus and opened in 2007, the challenging course offers panoramic views, dramatic elevation changes, and 365 days of Baja California sunshine. The course is also the first to feature the paspalum grass that remains healthier in the Cabo desert climate. Greens fees range from $135-$220 but keep an eye out for special promotions. http://www.clubcampestresanjose.com/en/campo-de-golf-san-jose-del-cabo.html
- El Dorado Golf Club – 7,050 yards, Par 72: A private golf club designed by the master himself Jack Nicklaus and located beachfront in Cabo San Lucas. The stunning ocean and lake views from all 18 holes have made this one of the top rated private golf clubs in the world and the difficult terrain make it challenging for even the best golfers. Greens fees start at $168 and go up to $246 during peak season. http://www.eldoradogolfandbeachclub.com/golf/
- Cabo San Lucas Country Club – 7,220 yards, Par 72: A Dye designed 18-hole golf course famous for its views of the popular Land’s End Arch. The breathtaking course flows through groves of Palo Blanco trees and stately Cardon cacti, providing a serene desert landscape. The beauty of the course is equally matched by its difficulty, highlighted by the 610 yard, par 5, hole number 7. The country club not only offers one of the finest locations with Land’s End views, but also some of the best greens fees in all of Cabo. You can play a few rounds during your vacation with greens fees ranging from $109-$185 and as low as $79 during twilight hours. http://www.golfincabo.com/
- Mayan Palace Golf Los Cabos – 3,141 yards, Par 35: A great alternative to the numerous championship courses nearby is the short 9 hole municipal course that offers a fun golfing experience for beginner-intermediate golfers. The course is situated right in the heart of San Jose Del Cabo and has great views of the Sea of Cortez. The greens fees are the cheapest in all of Los Cabos at only $54-$100/person but make sure to plan in advance because it is often crowded. http://www.cabo-golfing.com/campo-de-golf-fonatur.htm
- Querencia Private Golf Club – 7,070 yards, Par 72: One of the world leading designers, Tom Fazio, created a masterpiece that incorporates nature and expansive ocean views in what was his first championship golf course outside the United States. Located in the Los Cabos corridor with a slope of 145, the course winds throughout the hilly coast and creates a very private feeling amongst the nature. The course is perfect from hole one through 18, with spectacular views from every hole. The private club requires an annual membership.
What it cost: Green fees and other costs will add up to around $200-$300 during peak season but you can find rates for under $100 at the best courses during “twilight” hours. Golf club rentals will cost about $40 and extra fees will include taxes and gratuity that are not included in the price. Be sure to plan on food and beverage expenses as well, you will want a few cervezas throughout the day especially once it heats up.
Cabo Golf Tips
- International Golf Card: Save money in advance by signing up for the International Golf Card. With the membership, you will be able to save up to 20% at several of the popular Cabo San Lucas golf courses like Campo Del Golf and Club Campestre. If you just play two rounds of golf or more in Los Cabos per year, this card will save you money.
- Extra Golf Balls: Unlike your favorite golf course at home, most of the golf courses in Cabo San Lucas are very challenging and will eat up your golf balls extremely fast. With cliffs, lakes, oceans, cactus, and much more, you should plan on losing a few golf balls. Before heading out for the day, buy a few extra balls.
- Skip the summer heat: Summer is a great time to travel to Cabo San Lucas, but the midday heat can be a little extreme for a round of golf. If you are vacationing during July or August, be sure to book the earliest tee time possible and you will likely have perfect weather. Hustle back to your resort’s pool by the time the heat really kicks in around 2pm.
- Dress Code: The standard golf club dress code still applies in Cabo San Lucas so be sure to pack the right outfit or plan on buying clothes when you arrive in town. Just because you can go everywhere else in board shorts doesn’t mean you can play golf in them.
We had a fantastic trip!!!! Villa Del Arco was perfect with very spacious, clean rooms. It was great having the pool and beach so acessible. Your recommendation of doing the All-Inclusive was also so nice. The service, food, and restaurants were superb. In fact La Perla cooked the tuna that we caught three different ways and all were delicious. We will definitely go back and book with you.
Rita H., Texas
Just wanted to say thanks for all of your help with the April Cabo trip. We made it back to town late Friday night after one of the best weeks our family has ever had. The property at Villa La Estancia is amazing. The room was a perfect size and the balcony had amazing views. We didn't use the kitchen as much as we should have because we were busy working our way through the list of restaurants you recommended. We made it to Villa Serena, Mi Casa, Salvatore's (for lasagna night), La Panga and our favorite - La Golondrina. We ran out of time to get the vouchers you recommended, but will make sure we do that next time. You were also right about the staff - everyone was very friendly. In fact the only issue we had all week was with a taxi driver who was overcharging for a return trip from the city, but the bell man stepped in and solved the matter immediately. We also had maid service every other day which was a great surprise. We were able to make use of the sister properties almost every day, either for tennis, mini golf, the spa or to check out the other restaurants on site. They were very nice as well, but I would have to say they don't compare to VLE. Lastly, the Suburban service you recommended was awesome. Lucas was our driver. Our flight was about 30 minutes late getting in after some mechanical issues in Phoenix, but he was waiting with our sign outside as promised. The cold water and Dos XX were another pleasant surprise. Lucas served as our personal tour guide on the trip in giving us more tips and some great background on the city. Not sure when we'll be able to get back, but I can't imagine doing Cabo without going through you. We've already recommended your service to our friends and will continue to do so. Just make sure to keep a place ready for us. Thanks again.
Dean & Julie
I'm finally getting caught up after vacation and wanted to let you both know that we had a great time in Cabo. I'm so glad I talked to Bob as we originally had reservations through a travel agent for the Villa del Pal Mar. Although we enjoyed a few dinners at the beachside restaurant at Pal Mar we would have regretted staying in the hotel. The rooms from the outside looked worn and the poolside spring break atmosphere would have ruined the trip. Villa del Arco on the other hand was wonderful. I don't know that it's worth the price they want directly (although their signature services definitely help) but Destination Vacations made it a perfect deal. The only thing I wished I would have known ahead of time was that everyone in Cabo, beach venders included, wanted US cash. No need for pesos there, just the opposite in Puerto Vallarta. Restaurants we feel that are not to be missed are Mi Casa, Los Deseos and Hacienda Cocina Y Cantina.
Thank you for a wonderful trip. When we decide it's time to go back to Cabo we'll definitely be calling Destination Vacations!
Pam L., Seattle
There isn't anything you didn't think of. Everything is in a good place, we love it. The housekeeper was very thoughtful and pleasant. The villa is both clean and vibrant, we have never been to a villa that is so clean. Thanks for sharing your home with us. P.S. we will tell all friends about 1208!
Our vacation was outstanding. Villa La Estancia is a beautiful place and room 1605 exceeded our expectations. The airport shuttle was awesome too. As we have been there several times we knew just to head outside and ignore the salesman. The door slid open the sun and heat hit our face, and there was our driver holding our name and the vacation officially started.
Brent Lutz, Snoqualmie Washington
Villa La Estancia - #1303
Just a note to thank you so much for all of your recommendations regarding our trip to Cabo. I can't tell you how happy and impressed we were with our accommodations. What a beautiful place!!! We couldn't have asked for a more perfect vacation - everything about our trip was first class. Your suggestion about taking a private taxi to and from the hotel was very much appreciated. Our day trip on La Gringa was probably the highlight of our trip. We decided to take a private tour with our group of 7 - probably more expensive but worth every dime. Jose Luis did a fantastic job on lunch, and Arturo and Miguel (Captain and First Mate) were the best in seeing that we were well taken care of. Again, thank you for a wonderful vacation. Will definitely keep you in mind for a future trip to Cabo.
Maria Pastor, Baton Rouge LA
Hi Bob. Just returned from Cabo and our stay at the Villa Del Arco and wanted to send along a thanks for all your help and info. The Del Arco was a "great" place to stay, your adding the daily breakfast to our package was much appreciated, they treated us very well, and we had a great time all the way around. Ended up on the town side of the building with a nice view of the marina area.
We'll keep you in mind when we get ready to go back and I've already recommended you to a couple others I know considering trips to Cabo! Thanks for taking good care of us! Sincerely, the Spencers!
Spencer, Seattle, WA
Villa Del Arco was perfect for our anniversary celebration. The grounds were beautiful, the pools were perfect and the view and location cannot be beat. Thanks to DestinationCabo.com for expert assistance in selecting the right resort. Plus they know everything about what to do and where to eat! Totally cool.
We had a wonderful trip and the accomodations were very nice. We enjoyed the room location by the pool. The restaurant was excellent and the staff very good. Thank you for your assistance.
We thoroughly enjoyed our first trip to Cabo. The accommodations were exceptional--loved 1707--view was breathtaking from the balcony. Did not really realize the topography of the area--were very surprised by the mountain, desert, and sea views. Loved our panga ride around Lands End. My husband and I had the king bedroom and bath and were very comfortable. The main living area was awesome except for the fact that the dishwasher was broken--discovered it by a wet kitchen floor when we arrived. We called maintenance and they came immediately, but the dishwasher was not useable. It ended up not being a problem because of the every other day maid service--she washed the dishes for us. The couple we were with had the second bedroom and I think they were just a little disappointed after seeing our accommodations with the king bedroom and bath. Tried some of your recommendations for restaurants and absolutely loved Salvatore's--great food at great prices. Asked the concierge for a recommendation for an authentic Mexican restaurant with reasonable prices and found Maria Coronas to be an excellent choice. Spent Valentine's dinner at Ruth's Chris (our favorite American dining spot) and were not disappointed as usual--food and service there is always replicated. Spent a lot of time at the beach bars (The Office, Billygans, and Mango Beach Deck)--great Cabo atmosphere. Also liked shopping in the marina area. We feel that the $7 cab ride to the mall area was well worth the expense--walking the streets with occasional sidewalks was scary at times. Thanks for allowing us to use your condo--overall our first experience in Cabo was very memorable.
Beth Mason, Covington Indiana