Cabo San Lucas Golfing
Cabo San Lucas is quickly becoming one of the hottest golf destinations in the world. In the last decade, over 10 public and private championship golf course clubs have opened there doors to golfers looking for a unique experience. The combination between an optimal desert climate available over 300 days per year and the stunning views of the Sierra Madre mountains, Sea of Cortez, Pacific Ocean, and Land’s End, there are not many places in the world that can provide a better golfing experience. Whether you are new to the world of golf or have been playing for decades, golfing in Cabo San Lucas is a great time for everyone. The courses provide unique and challenging holes that will always leave you breathless with the surrounding flora and picturesque views. If you are planning a trip to Baja, do not pass up an opportunity to play on one of the popular Los Cabos golf courses. There is a reason why Golf Digest named Los Cabos one of the world’s top 15 golf destinations.
Where to Golf?
- Palmilla Golf Club – 6,900 yards, Par 72: The 27 hole Jack Nicklaus signature course is by far the most picturesque golf experience in all of Los Cabos. Located in San Jose Del Cabo, three 9-hole courses (Arroyo Nine, Mountain Nine, and Ocean Nine) sprawl across the desert landscape with panoramic views of the Sea of Cortez. Greens fees range from $140 in the offseason up to $220 during peak season. If you tee off for a “Twilight” game, the rates range from $80-$160, an amazing value for the gorgeous layout and challenging course at Palmilla. http://www.palmillagc.com
- The Dunes Golf Course at Diamante – 7,300 yards, Par 72: The latest and greatest addition to the lineup of championship golf courses in Los Cabos is the Diamante at the Dunes. The course opened in 2010 and was designed by 20-time PGA tour winner Davis Love III. Just six miles north of Cabo San Lucas, the course is situated on giant white sandy dunes mixed with the picturesque desert landscape of Cabo and views of the Pacific Ocean. The ocean front golf course is one of the top rated grand openings in the world for 2010. With a slope of 146 and an often windy environment, this is one of the most challenging courses in all of Cabo. Greens fees for this brand new championship course will cost between $200-$275. http://www.diamantecabosanlucas.com/
- Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course – 7,103 yards, Par 72: The top rated golf course in the Los Cabos area is another Jack Nicklaus signature course. Nicklaus designed his own Pebble Beach on the gorgeous coast of Baja California overlooking the Sea of Cortez. The 5th and 17th holes are consistently ranked in the world’s best and the mile long course offers the most spectacular ocean views. Green fees range from as low as $180 in the summer and $355 during high season. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_ocean.html
- Cabo Del Sol Desert Course – 7,100 yards, Par 72: This is the second highest rated golf course in the Los Cabos corridor and was masterfully designed by Tom Weiskopf. The unique layout covers the picturesque Baja desert and every hole offers ocean views in the distance. The challenging course has multiple elevation changes and dramatic bunkering to make it an exciting day of golf for even the most experienced golfers. Greens fees range from $150-$255, making it one of the best golf values in Cabo. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_desert.html
- Cabo Real Golf Cub – 7,037 yards, Par 72: Robert Trent Jones II created a masterpiece with the Cabo Real golf course that is home to the toughest front nine of golf in Los Cabos. Home to two PGA Senior Slams and several other prestigious golf tournaments, the course is famous for having a spectacular show from grey whales breaching just offshore during the 1996 Senior Slam. This course is a must visit destination for any avid golfer. Greens fees range from $140-$280 depending on the time of day and year. http://www.caboreal.com/Cabo_Real/Golf.html
- Puerto Los Cabos Golf Club – 7,461 yards, Par 73: Two of the world’s best golf course designers worked to create one of the newest and most challenging courses in Cabo. Opening only in 2007, the Gerg Norman designed front nine will be the private course winding through the desert landscape while the Jack Nicklaus Signature 9 hole course will be open to guests and finish of the 18 hole championship course overlooking the vast Sea of Cortez. Golfers will be able to experience the difference in design philosophies from the two legendary designers. Greens fees range from $150-$195. http://www.puertoloscabos.com/golf.php
- Club Campestre San Jose Golf Course – 7,055 yards, Par 71: Another championship golf course surrounded by picture perfect vistas of Los Cabos and the Sea of Cortez. Designed by Jack Nicklaus and opened in 2007, the challenging course offers panoramic views, dramatic elevation changes, and 365 days of Baja California sunshine. The course is also the first to feature the paspalum grass that remains healthier in the Cabo desert climate. Greens fees range from $135-$220 but keep an eye out for special promotions. http://www.clubcampestresanjose.com/en/campo-de-golf-san-jose-del-cabo.html
- El Dorado Golf Club – 7,050 yards, Par 72: A private golf club designed by the master himself Jack Nicklaus and located beachfront in Cabo San Lucas. The stunning ocean and lake views from all 18 holes have made this one of the top rated private golf clubs in the world and the difficult terrain make it challenging for even the best golfers. Greens fees start at $168 and go up to $246 during peak season. http://www.eldoradogolfandbeachclub.com/golf/
- Cabo San Lucas Country Club – 7,220 yards, Par 72: A Dye designed 18-hole golf course famous for its views of the popular Land’s End Arch. The breathtaking course flows through groves of Palo Blanco trees and stately Cardon cacti, providing a serene desert landscape. The beauty of the course is equally matched by its difficulty, highlighted by the 610 yard, par 5, hole number 7. The country club not only offers one of the finest locations with Land’s End views, but also some of the best greens fees in all of Cabo. You can play a few rounds during your vacation with greens fees ranging from $109-$185 and as low as $79 during twilight hours. http://www.golfincabo.com/
- Mayan Palace Golf Los Cabos – 3,141 yards, Par 35: A great alternative to the numerous championship courses nearby is the short 9 hole municipal course that offers a fun golfing experience for beginner-intermediate golfers. The course is situated right in the heart of San Jose Del Cabo and has great views of the Sea of Cortez. The greens fees are the cheapest in all of Los Cabos at only $54-$100/person but make sure to plan in advance because it is often crowded. http://www.cabo-golfing.com/campo-de-golf-fonatur.htm
- Querencia Private Golf Club – 7,070 yards, Par 72: One of the world leading designers, Tom Fazio, created a masterpiece that incorporates nature and expansive ocean views in what was his first championship golf course outside the United States. Located in the Los Cabos corridor with a slope of 145, the course winds throughout the hilly coast and creates a very private feeling amongst the nature. The course is perfect from hole one through 18, with spectacular views from every hole. The private club requires an annual membership.
What it cost: Green fees and other costs will add up to around $200-$300 during peak season but you can find rates for under $100 at the best courses during “twilight” hours. Golf club rentals will cost about $40 and extra fees will include taxes and gratuity that are not included in the price. Be sure to plan on food and beverage expenses as well, you will want a few cervezas throughout the day especially once it heats up.
Cabo Golf Tips
- International Golf Card: Save money in advance by signing up for the International Golf Card. With the membership, you will be able to save up to 20% at several of the popular Cabo San Lucas golf courses like Campo Del Golf and Club Campestre. If you just play two rounds of golf or more in Los Cabos per year, this card will save you money.
- Extra Golf Balls: Unlike your favorite golf course at home, most of the golf courses in Cabo San Lucas are very challenging and will eat up your golf balls extremely fast. With cliffs, lakes, oceans, cactus, and much more, you should plan on losing a few golf balls. Before heading out for the day, buy a few extra balls.
- Skip the summer heat: Summer is a great time to travel to Cabo San Lucas, but the midday heat can be a little extreme for a round of golf. If you are vacationing during July or August, be sure to book the earliest tee time possible and you will likely have perfect weather. Hustle back to your resort’s pool by the time the heat really kicks in around 2pm.
- Dress Code: The standard golf club dress code still applies in Cabo San Lucas so be sure to pack the right outfit or plan on buying clothes when you arrive in town. Just because you can go everywhere else in board shorts doesn’t mean you can play golf in them.
It was a fantastic trip. There ended up being 5 families and 19 people in our party by the end of the trip (10 parents, 9 kids) so it was a lot of fun.
We used the all-inclusive extensively (more for breakfast, which was excellent, and lunch/drinks for us during the day) and even though we joined the group for dinner most nights in Cabo the all-inclusive rate you gave us seemed to be a good deal. We would recommend it for families we even attended the Fiesta night which was a lot of fun and included in the package. Our room was great (we've stayed at Villa group twice in Puerto Vallarta), the transportation to/from the airport was perfect, and all in all a very smooth trip.
We met many people who had moved from Palmar over to Arco due to the college kids noise all night long so we were glad our party was at the Arco which was much quieter. Going over there seemed like a constant frat party (not something we wanted our teenagers exposed to) and the staff were obviously not happy serving these kids.
Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback.
Ian Maguire, Vancouver
Marcus requested that I reply to your inquiry as my wife and I hosted this family vacation. First of all, the vacation was extraordinary and a memorable event for all 10 of us. It will be one in our top 5 taken as a family. The Villa Del Arco was a first class facility. It was clean and the help very attentive to our needs that included very active children ages 5,4,4, and 18 months. The penthouse suite was beautiful and very functional. The room layout, furniture, hot tub and decor was perfect. We won't forget the ocean views, ocean wave sounds, sun sets and the picturesque views of the pools and property. The additional room was also well appointed. We enjoyed the restaurants and found the quality of the food at both the Del Arco and Las Palmas(?) to be tasty and well prepared. The service was good at both locations. We had a great time and will likely return sometime in the future.
Fred S., Blue Springs, MI
We had a great time and I really appreciate the hassle free room booking. Nice for the hotel to be expecting you versus some of the horror stories you read about. The accomodations were great and just as you explained.
Thanks again for your help, explanations and advise.
Richard Anderson, Kensington New Hampshire
From the moment we arrived the place was like "paradise". The unit was beyond unbelievable...can't say enough how much we enjoyed and loved it. From the fabulous views to the spacious and quiet location, to the people that serviced us.
One day at the pool, I forgot to sign for the tab, and our server who we basically had the whole time called me and said " no worries I will come to your room". He went out of his way and was always so appreciative.
We were not hounded by the "time share" people at all, which was a pleasant surprise.
All in all everyone was so gracious and accommodating. We had a fabulous time, and of course sad to leave.
Even the transportation company was right on time both ways. And very polite and good drivers. As you know I was a little apprehensive.
I would absolutely return again to VDA. It is truly a 5 star resort. Btw, we did not eat dinner there but had breakfast/lunch everyday. The food was to perfection.
Thank you for everything.
Kim G., Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Bob our stay way amazing...thanks again. You are a class act and this was a great gesture. The service was great to use on the way back. We will for sure use them again on our next trip.
Michael B., CA
All was fantastic! I will definitely be a return customer of yours! Shana
Shana H., Sausalito
We had a great time and everything was perfect. The villa was awesome and the transportation provided was great. I appreciate your assistance and will contact you next time we head down south.
Jeff Galloway, Washougal Washington
We can't thank Bob enough for understanding our vacation needs and picking out the perfect lodging for our family vacation. Vacationing as a family of four is expensive so you want to be sure if you are going to make the investment that it is a great experience. Bob listened and actually knew what we needed even more than we did. Since he knows the area so well, he was able to choose a spot that was close enough to the action, but far enough away to provide us a relaxing sanctuary. Everything about the vacation exceeded all of our expectations and that isn't easy when you've got two college age students vacationing with their parents. There was something for everyone. The hotel was immaculate and service was excellent. Again Bob, our sincere appreciation. We'll definitely consult with you next time we come back to Cabo. Can't wait -Mary Lynn Thompson
Mary Lynn Thompson, Seattle
Just wanted to say thanks for all of your help with the April Cabo trip. We made it back to town late Friday night after one of the best weeks our family has ever had. The property at Villa La Estancia is amazing. The room was a perfect size and the balcony had amazing views. We didn't use the kitchen as much as we should have because we were busy working our way through the list of restaurants you recommended. We made it to Villa Serena, Mi Casa, Salvatore's (for lasagna night), La Panga and our favorite - La Golondrina. We ran out of time to get the vouchers you recommended, but will make sure we do that next time. You were also right about the staff - everyone was very friendly. In fact the only issue we had all week was with a taxi driver who was overcharging for a return trip from the city, but the bell man stepped in and solved the matter immediately. We also had maid service every other day which was a great surprise. We were able to make use of the sister properties almost every day, either for tennis, mini golf, the spa or to check out the other restaurants on site. They were very nice as well, but I would have to say they don't compare to VLE. Lastly, the Suburban service you recommended was awesome. Lucas was our driver. Our flight was about 30 minutes late getting in after some mechanical issues in Phoenix, but he was waiting with our sign outside as promised. The cold water and Dos XX were another pleasant surprise. Lucas served as our personal tour guide on the trip in giving us more tips and some great background on the city. Not sure when we'll be able to get back, but I can't imagine doing Cabo without going through you. We've already recommended your service to our friends and will continue to do so. Just make sure to keep a place ready for us. Thanks again.
Dean & Julie
As I have already relayed to you, my family and I absolutely loved your condo unit 1501 at Villa del Palmar. We had a wonderful time there. The resort was nice. We didn't participate in the All Inclusive Plan as we go into town for dinner each night, but we did enjoy breakfasts at the cafe and lunches on the beach. The only complaint I could have is the beach service is extremely slow and not very accurate with your orders, but it didn't bother us all that much. We are very interested in renting this unit again next year.