Cabo San Lucas Golfing
Cabo San Lucas is quickly becoming one of the hottest golf destinations in the world. In the last decade, over 10 public and private championship golf course clubs have opened there doors to golfers looking for a unique experience. The combination between an optimal desert climate available over 300 days per year and the stunning views of the Sierra Madre mountains, Sea of Cortez, Pacific Ocean, and Land’s End, there are not many places in the world that can provide a better golfing experience. Whether you are new to the world of golf or have been playing for decades, golfing in Cabo San Lucas is a great time for everyone. The courses provide unique and challenging holes that will always leave you breathless with the surrounding flora and picturesque views. If you are planning a trip to Baja, do not pass up an opportunity to play on one of the popular Los Cabos golf courses. There is a reason why Golf Digest named Los Cabos one of the world’s top 15 golf destinations.
Where to Golf?
- Palmilla Golf Club – 6,900 yards, Par 72: The 27 hole Jack Nicklaus signature course is by far the most picturesque golf experience in all of Los Cabos. Located in San Jose Del Cabo, three 9-hole courses (Arroyo Nine, Mountain Nine, and Ocean Nine) sprawl across the desert landscape with panoramic views of the Sea of Cortez. Greens fees range from $140 in the offseason up to $220 during peak season. If you tee off for a “Twilight” game, the rates range from $80-$160, an amazing value for the gorgeous layout and challenging course at Palmilla. http://www.palmillagc.com
- The Dunes Golf Course at Diamante – 7,300 yards, Par 72: The latest and greatest addition to the lineup of championship golf courses in Los Cabos is the Diamante at the Dunes. The course opened in 2010 and was designed by 20-time PGA tour winner Davis Love III. Just six miles north of Cabo San Lucas, the course is situated on giant white sandy dunes mixed with the picturesque desert landscape of Cabo and views of the Pacific Ocean. The ocean front golf course is one of the top rated grand openings in the world for 2010. With a slope of 146 and an often windy environment, this is one of the most challenging courses in all of Cabo. Greens fees for this brand new championship course will cost between $200-$275. http://www.diamantecabosanlucas.com/
- Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course – 7,103 yards, Par 72: The top rated golf course in the Los Cabos area is another Jack Nicklaus signature course. Nicklaus designed his own Pebble Beach on the gorgeous coast of Baja California overlooking the Sea of Cortez. The 5th and 17th holes are consistently ranked in the world’s best and the mile long course offers the most spectacular ocean views. Green fees range from as low as $180 in the summer and $355 during high season. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_ocean.html
- Cabo Del Sol Desert Course – 7,100 yards, Par 72: This is the second highest rated golf course in the Los Cabos corridor and was masterfully designed by Tom Weiskopf. The unique layout covers the picturesque Baja desert and every hole offers ocean views in the distance. The challenging course has multiple elevation changes and dramatic bunkering to make it an exciting day of golf for even the most experienced golfers. Greens fees range from $150-$255, making it one of the best golf values in Cabo. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_desert.html
- Cabo Real Golf Cub – 7,037 yards, Par 72: Robert Trent Jones II created a masterpiece with the Cabo Real golf course that is home to the toughest front nine of golf in Los Cabos. Home to two PGA Senior Slams and several other prestigious golf tournaments, the course is famous for having a spectacular show from grey whales breaching just offshore during the 1996 Senior Slam. This course is a must visit destination for any avid golfer. Greens fees range from $140-$280 depending on the time of day and year. http://www.caboreal.com/Cabo_Real/Golf.html
- Puerto Los Cabos Golf Club – 7,461 yards, Par 73: Two of the world’s best golf course designers worked to create one of the newest and most challenging courses in Cabo. Opening only in 2007, the Gerg Norman designed front nine will be the private course winding through the desert landscape while the Jack Nicklaus Signature 9 hole course will be open to guests and finish of the 18 hole championship course overlooking the vast Sea of Cortez. Golfers will be able to experience the difference in design philosophies from the two legendary designers. Greens fees range from $150-$195. http://www.puertoloscabos.com/golf.php
- Club Campestre San Jose Golf Course – 7,055 yards, Par 71: Another championship golf course surrounded by picture perfect vistas of Los Cabos and the Sea of Cortez. Designed by Jack Nicklaus and opened in 2007, the challenging course offers panoramic views, dramatic elevation changes, and 365 days of Baja California sunshine. The course is also the first to feature the paspalum grass that remains healthier in the Cabo desert climate. Greens fees range from $135-$220 but keep an eye out for special promotions. http://www.clubcampestresanjose.com/en/campo-de-golf-san-jose-del-cabo.html
- El Dorado Golf Club – 7,050 yards, Par 72: A private golf club designed by the master himself Jack Nicklaus and located beachfront in Cabo San Lucas. The stunning ocean and lake views from all 18 holes have made this one of the top rated private golf clubs in the world and the difficult terrain make it challenging for even the best golfers. Greens fees start at $168 and go up to $246 during peak season. http://www.eldoradogolfandbeachclub.com/golf/
- Cabo San Lucas Country Club – 7,220 yards, Par 72: A Dye designed 18-hole golf course famous for its views of the popular Land’s End Arch. The breathtaking course flows through groves of Palo Blanco trees and stately Cardon cacti, providing a serene desert landscape. The beauty of the course is equally matched by its difficulty, highlighted by the 610 yard, par 5, hole number 7. The country club not only offers one of the finest locations with Land’s End views, but also some of the best greens fees in all of Cabo. You can play a few rounds during your vacation with greens fees ranging from $109-$185 and as low as $79 during twilight hours. http://www.golfincabo.com/
- Mayan Palace Golf Los Cabos – 3,141 yards, Par 35: A great alternative to the numerous championship courses nearby is the short 9 hole municipal course that offers a fun golfing experience for beginner-intermediate golfers. The course is situated right in the heart of San Jose Del Cabo and has great views of the Sea of Cortez. The greens fees are the cheapest in all of Los Cabos at only $54-$100/person but make sure to plan in advance because it is often crowded. http://www.cabo-golfing.com/campo-de-golf-fonatur.htm
- Querencia Private Golf Club – 7,070 yards, Par 72: One of the world leading designers, Tom Fazio, created a masterpiece that incorporates nature and expansive ocean views in what was his first championship golf course outside the United States. Located in the Los Cabos corridor with a slope of 145, the course winds throughout the hilly coast and creates a very private feeling amongst the nature. The course is perfect from hole one through 18, with spectacular views from every hole. The private club requires an annual membership.
What it cost: Green fees and other costs will add up to around $200-$300 during peak season but you can find rates for under $100 at the best courses during “twilight” hours. Golf club rentals will cost about $40 and extra fees will include taxes and gratuity that are not included in the price. Be sure to plan on food and beverage expenses as well, you will want a few cervezas throughout the day especially once it heats up.
Cabo Golf Tips
- International Golf Card: Save money in advance by signing up for the International Golf Card. With the membership, you will be able to save up to 20% at several of the popular Cabo San Lucas golf courses like Campo Del Golf and Club Campestre. If you just play two rounds of golf or more in Los Cabos per year, this card will save you money.
- Extra Golf Balls: Unlike your favorite golf course at home, most of the golf courses in Cabo San Lucas are very challenging and will eat up your golf balls extremely fast. With cliffs, lakes, oceans, cactus, and much more, you should plan on losing a few golf balls. Before heading out for the day, buy a few extra balls.
- Skip the summer heat: Summer is a great time to travel to Cabo San Lucas, but the midday heat can be a little extreme for a round of golf. If you are vacationing during July or August, be sure to book the earliest tee time possible and you will likely have perfect weather. Hustle back to your resort’s pool by the time the heat really kicks in around 2pm.
- Dress Code: The standard golf club dress code still applies in Cabo San Lucas so be sure to pack the right outfit or plan on buying clothes when you arrive in town. Just because you can go everywhere else in board shorts doesn’t mean you can play golf in them.
Thank you for everything! We had the greatest time in Cabo and will recommend you to all of our friends. Please send me all the specials you might have throughout the year. I wish we can go back soon.
Lena V, LA
Been running since our return. Had a great time, did not buy a time share. Avoided that scene. Wonderful service from beginning to end. Would definitely use your services again.
Thank you, Tracee
Tracee, Portland, OR
We had a great visit to Cabo and loved staying at Arco. The little touches like the free bottle of wine and basket of food in the room along with nightly tastings brought to us from the restaurant and little spa gifts left on our bed were unexpected and made it even more special. We had a great time and would love to go back soon! Thanks so much and please keep my e-mail in case you have any future specials!
Hi Bob. Thanks for following up. It was a great vacation. You were right about the suite, it was one of a kind and reasonably priced for what it was. The people at the resort could not have been nicer, food was good and fresh. All told, a very nice week.
Marty L., Rockville, MD
I've stayed at many 5-Star hotels in the past. None have been as informative and conscientious in advance of a stay as you have been. Thank you!
Thank you so much for your recommendation of Villa Del Arco for our vacation destination. My family and I had a fabulous time! The accommodations were first class and it was truly a vacation of a lifetime. We particularly enjoyed the all-inclusive package and thank you for nudging me in that direction. It was worth every penny of the added cost. Thanks again for everything and we can't wait to come back.
Kyle P., Chicago
We had the most amazing time in Cabo, and the resort was much more than we imagined. It looks very nice on the internet, but to see it in person is so much more -- it was truly beautiful. The staff was so friendly and more than willing to assist us with any questions.
We would also like to thank the two of you for all your patience and assistance throughout the planning of our vacation. You were so helpful and really put our minds at ease. We will definitely rent from you again on our next trip to Mexico.
Ed McKenna and Kris Dever, Seattle Washington
Thank you so much! I had a great time in Cabo and the resort was beautiful. It was extremely relaxing, the staff was very kind to me. I would love to go back, Juan the hotel manager was very accommodating and so helpful at check in and throughout my whole stay. Gisela at the spa took excellent care of me daily!! Francisco and Manuel the bellman where regularly as helpful, the housekeeper Sandra was awesome. The information you provided prior to my arrival was a great help, and made my entrance into Mexico very smooth, knowing what to expect prior was wonderful. The transportation information in which you gave me was used and went smoothly. This was all so important for I was traveling alone. Thank you for everything.
Hope Andrews, Florida
Our family of 6 had a wonderful time at gorgeous Villa Del Arco. I was very impressed by Destination Cabo. In particular, Bob was very informative and patient with all my questions. He secured us a great room at a great price, and he took care of all the details, making the trip planning much easier for me. It's very difficult to find accommodations in which our family can be together without having to book 2 separate rooms, so this hotel is a gem to me. It was a pleasure doing business.
This is the first vacation ever, that I was not ready to end, and I cannot wait to return. Thank you Bob and thank you Villa Del Arco, for an outstanding vacation.
JoAnn O., Chicago
We have been meaning to get back to you regarding our stay. The entire complex including all three resorts was really nice. The beach was great and we had no problems with getting chairs at the beach or near the pool. The unit was very nice and the balcony was beyond our expectations. It was big and the view was magnificent. The whole staff at the complex were extremely helpful, courteous,and quick to help with any issue or things we needed. They could not have been better. We really enjoyed our stay and would come back. We mainly ate at the Bella California and found the food very good. Once we had the breakfast buffet and that too was good. We were in town for all of our dinners, and had some great meals at reasonable prices. The rooms were very nice although we were expecting King size beds in all three rooms and only the master had a King the others were queens but we made it work. All in all the unit and complex was even better than we expected and we want to thank you for all of your help and insight. Hopefully we will work with you on another vacation in the future.
Robert C., Deerfiled, Illinois