Cabo San Lucas Golfing
Cabo San Lucas is quickly becoming one of the hottest golf destinations in the world. In the last decade, over 10 public and private championship golf course clubs have opened there doors to golfers looking for a unique experience. The combination between an optimal desert climate available over 300 days per year and the stunning views of the Sierra Madre mountains, Sea of Cortez, Pacific Ocean, and Land’s End, there are not many places in the world that can provide a better golfing experience. Whether you are new to the world of golf or have been playing for decades, golfing in Cabo San Lucas is a great time for everyone. The courses provide unique and challenging holes that will always leave you breathless with the surrounding flora and picturesque views. If you are planning a trip to Baja, do not pass up an opportunity to play on one of the popular Los Cabos golf courses. There is a reason why Golf Digest named Los Cabos one of the world’s top 15 golf destinations.
Where to Golf?
- Palmilla Golf Club – 6,900 yards, Par 72: The 27 hole Jack Nicklaus signature course is by far the most picturesque golf experience in all of Los Cabos. Located in San Jose Del Cabo, three 9-hole courses (Arroyo Nine, Mountain Nine, and Ocean Nine) sprawl across the desert landscape with panoramic views of the Sea of Cortez. Greens fees range from $140 in the offseason up to $220 during peak season. If you tee off for a “Twilight” game, the rates range from $80-$160, an amazing value for the gorgeous layout and challenging course at Palmilla. http://www.palmillagc.com
- The Dunes Golf Course at Diamante – 7,300 yards, Par 72: The latest and greatest addition to the lineup of championship golf courses in Los Cabos is the Diamante at the Dunes. The course opened in 2010 and was designed by 20-time PGA tour winner Davis Love III. Just six miles north of Cabo San Lucas, the course is situated on giant white sandy dunes mixed with the picturesque desert landscape of Cabo and views of the Pacific Ocean. The ocean front golf course is one of the top rated grand openings in the world for 2010. With a slope of 146 and an often windy environment, this is one of the most challenging courses in all of Cabo. Greens fees for this brand new championship course will cost between $200-$275. http://www.diamantecabosanlucas.com/
- Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course – 7,103 yards, Par 72: The top rated golf course in the Los Cabos area is another Jack Nicklaus signature course. Nicklaus designed his own Pebble Beach on the gorgeous coast of Baja California overlooking the Sea of Cortez. The 5th and 17th holes are consistently ranked in the world’s best and the mile long course offers the most spectacular ocean views. Green fees range from as low as $180 in the summer and $355 during high season. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_ocean.html
- Cabo Del Sol Desert Course – 7,100 yards, Par 72: This is the second highest rated golf course in the Los Cabos corridor and was masterfully designed by Tom Weiskopf. The unique layout covers the picturesque Baja desert and every hole offers ocean views in the distance. The challenging course has multiple elevation changes and dramatic bunkering to make it an exciting day of golf for even the most experienced golfers. Greens fees range from $150-$255, making it one of the best golf values in Cabo. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_desert.html
- Cabo Real Golf Cub – 7,037 yards, Par 72: Robert Trent Jones II created a masterpiece with the Cabo Real golf course that is home to the toughest front nine of golf in Los Cabos. Home to two PGA Senior Slams and several other prestigious golf tournaments, the course is famous for having a spectacular show from grey whales breaching just offshore during the 1996 Senior Slam. This course is a must visit destination for any avid golfer. Greens fees range from $140-$280 depending on the time of day and year. http://www.caboreal.com/Cabo_Real/Golf.html
- Puerto Los Cabos Golf Club – 7,461 yards, Par 73: Two of the world’s best golf course designers worked to create one of the newest and most challenging courses in Cabo. Opening only in 2007, the Gerg Norman designed front nine will be the private course winding through the desert landscape while the Jack Nicklaus Signature 9 hole course will be open to guests and finish of the 18 hole championship course overlooking the vast Sea of Cortez. Golfers will be able to experience the difference in design philosophies from the two legendary designers. Greens fees range from $150-$195. http://www.puertoloscabos.com/golf.php
- Club Campestre San Jose Golf Course – 7,055 yards, Par 71: Another championship golf course surrounded by picture perfect vistas of Los Cabos and the Sea of Cortez. Designed by Jack Nicklaus and opened in 2007, the challenging course offers panoramic views, dramatic elevation changes, and 365 days of Baja California sunshine. The course is also the first to feature the paspalum grass that remains healthier in the Cabo desert climate. Greens fees range from $135-$220 but keep an eye out for special promotions. http://www.clubcampestresanjose.com/en/campo-de-golf-san-jose-del-cabo.html
- El Dorado Golf Club – 7,050 yards, Par 72: A private golf club designed by the master himself Jack Nicklaus and located beachfront in Cabo San Lucas. The stunning ocean and lake views from all 18 holes have made this one of the top rated private golf clubs in the world and the difficult terrain make it challenging for even the best golfers. Greens fees start at $168 and go up to $246 during peak season. http://www.eldoradogolfandbeachclub.com/golf/
- Cabo San Lucas Country Club – 7,220 yards, Par 72: A Dye designed 18-hole golf course famous for its views of the popular Land’s End Arch. The breathtaking course flows through groves of Palo Blanco trees and stately Cardon cacti, providing a serene desert landscape. The beauty of the course is equally matched by its difficulty, highlighted by the 610 yard, par 5, hole number 7. The country club not only offers one of the finest locations with Land’s End views, but also some of the best greens fees in all of Cabo. You can play a few rounds during your vacation with greens fees ranging from $109-$185 and as low as $79 during twilight hours. http://www.golfincabo.com/
- Mayan Palace Golf Los Cabos – 3,141 yards, Par 35: A great alternative to the numerous championship courses nearby is the short 9 hole municipal course that offers a fun golfing experience for beginner-intermediate golfers. The course is situated right in the heart of San Jose Del Cabo and has great views of the Sea of Cortez. The greens fees are the cheapest in all of Los Cabos at only $54-$100/person but make sure to plan in advance because it is often crowded. http://www.cabo-golfing.com/campo-de-golf-fonatur.htm
- Querencia Private Golf Club – 7,070 yards, Par 72: One of the world leading designers, Tom Fazio, created a masterpiece that incorporates nature and expansive ocean views in what was his first championship golf course outside the United States. Located in the Los Cabos corridor with a slope of 145, the course winds throughout the hilly coast and creates a very private feeling amongst the nature. The course is perfect from hole one through 18, with spectacular views from every hole. The private club requires an annual membership.
What it cost: Green fees and other costs will add up to around $200-$300 during peak season but you can find rates for under $100 at the best courses during “twilight” hours. Golf club rentals will cost about $40 and extra fees will include taxes and gratuity that are not included in the price. Be sure to plan on food and beverage expenses as well, you will want a few cervezas throughout the day especially once it heats up.
Cabo Golf Tips
- International Golf Card: Save money in advance by signing up for the International Golf Card. With the membership, you will be able to save up to 20% at several of the popular Cabo San Lucas golf courses like Campo Del Golf and Club Campestre. If you just play two rounds of golf or more in Los Cabos per year, this card will save you money.
- Extra Golf Balls: Unlike your favorite golf course at home, most of the golf courses in Cabo San Lucas are very challenging and will eat up your golf balls extremely fast. With cliffs, lakes, oceans, cactus, and much more, you should plan on losing a few golf balls. Before heading out for the day, buy a few extra balls.
- Skip the summer heat: Summer is a great time to travel to Cabo San Lucas, but the midday heat can be a little extreme for a round of golf. If you are vacationing during July or August, be sure to book the earliest tee time possible and you will likely have perfect weather. Hustle back to your resort’s pool by the time the heat really kicks in around 2pm.
- Dress Code: The standard golf club dress code still applies in Cabo San Lucas so be sure to pack the right outfit or plan on buying clothes when you arrive in town. Just because you can go everywhere else in board shorts doesn’t mean you can play golf in them.
Hey Bob -- Just wanted to let you know that everything worked out great with our trip to Cabo. Accommodations with Villa del Arco went smoothly, shuttle to/from the airport right on time. Thanks for setting it up and making it easy for us.
Carlyn, Bothel, WA
We had not had a family holiday in almost 5 years. I was looking for a place that had it all, easy to get to, 5-star accommodations, ocean views, easy access to a safe beach, family friendly and a vacation that wouldn't break the bank. When I found Bob Easton's site I felt I had hit the jack pot! Bob was absolutely wonderful, very kind, full of information and so easy to work with.
The Villa del Palmar was everything Bob told us it was and more. I loved the accommodations, the kids loved the beautiful pools and the beach. We went snorkeling, on boat trips and a magical horseback ride along the beach at sunset. I visited the spa and had an amazing massage. The people are all so friendly. It was like being in Paradise.
We had a fun, relaxing trip that we will remember for a long time. You have got to go and experience it for yourself. Tell Bob, Rosie sent you!
Service:10 - best
Value:10 - best
Attractiveness:10 - best
Overall Rating:10 - best
Rosie Klein, Dana Point California
Thank you Bob. Everything worked out perfect. Starting with transportation from the airport, to the amazing 2-bedroom suite with beautiful views, the pool, restaurants, and very friendly service of the staff. The six of us in the suite had all-inclusive, and that is the only way to go. We will be calling you for our next Cabo trip. Hopefully soon!!
Laura A., Hanford, CA
Just got back from Cabo last night. The villa was more than we expected and the pools, grounds and restaurants were outstanding. We had a great time with our children and grandchildren. The biggest problem we had was no soap in two of the bathrooms. Of course housekeeping took care of it immediately. Life's problems should be fixed so easily.
Fishing was tough but managed to bring home a 50 qt cooler of mahi mahi fillets.
Thanks for arranging the transportation. Transpacifico were both punctual and courteous.
John Giuffre, Montgomery Texas
Thank you so much for all your help organizing our trip to Cabo. We had a FABULOUS time. This is a part of Mexico we had not been to before and we are now captivated by its beauty and culture! La Estancia was a perfect place for us. We loved having the opportunity to cook for ourselves in the condo paired with the option to enjoy the culinary flavors of the local favorites. The condo was huge and the balcony views were magnificent. The condo was very clean and we were amazed that we didn't see any bugs the entire week! The consierge staff were superb. They were helpful, friendly and resourceful. We enjoyed the 20-30 minute walk to town and felt safe walking at anytime of day or night. The beach was magnificent and we loved the cool ocean water and the waves!! Loved seeing the humpback whales as well. Can't wait until next time!
Judy Tobias, Eden Prairie Minnesota
We liked Villa Del Palmar. It was a good place for the kids, clean and the beach was excellent. The unusual thing was literally everyone there was on an all-inclusive deal except for us. I personally don't like those all-inclusives though and would rather order specific higher end liquor/beer or wine and eat there OR in town when I want without regard to the all inclusive deal...so it worked fine for us! The rooms were nice/spacious and the people friendly! No complaints! It was an excellent vacation.
Rick F., San Carlos, CA
Your low rates surprised us. (We go to Cabo often and like to stay at Villa del Palmar.) On this trip that we booked through you, our suite had the best location of any of our trips! Thank you.
Shelley Richey, Sugarland Texas
I just wanted to say that I had the best time at the Villa del Arco. I took my daughter for a graduation present and loved every second of it. The staff were all very helpful and Esteban at the poolside really helped to make us feel welcome and looked after. See you next year!
Had a great time! Perfect weather every day; wonderful condo, both A and B sides and a great view. Loved Mi Casa and also La Galondino! Thanks for the recommendations. All in all we had 10+ families there and everyone enjoyed it very much! We had two showings by the on-site real estate agent, and so we were rewarded with a gold card which was greatly appreciated and saved us several $$, so that worked out well. We had the place spotless when they toured, so good luck with the potential sale!! We'll contact you again when we return.
Sue and Greg and Lori J.
Sue W., Shorewood, MN
We had a great time in Cabo...Loved the accommodations, the rooms were great. Loved the view of Land's End. The food was the best I've had at an all-inclusive, as were the drinks. When I ordered a beer it came in a can, not a dixie cup. It was a little confusing at first on what was included, because we had to sign for everything, but got that figured out, and was no problem. Will definitely stay here again. I am planning a trip for about 6 couples, so if you could send me some information to pass on that would be great.
Thanks for all you help.