Cabo San Lucas Golfing
Cabo San Lucas is quickly becoming one of the hottest golf destinations in the world. In the last decade, over 10 public and private championship golf course clubs have opened there doors to golfers looking for a unique experience. The combination between an optimal desert climate available over 300 days per year and the stunning views of the Sierra Madre mountains, Sea of Cortez, Pacific Ocean, and Land’s End, there are not many places in the world that can provide a better golfing experience. Whether you are new to the world of golf or have been playing for decades, golfing in Cabo San Lucas is a great time for everyone. The courses provide unique and challenging holes that will always leave you breathless with the surrounding flora and picturesque views. If you are planning a trip to Baja, do not pass up an opportunity to play on one of the popular Los Cabos golf courses. There is a reason why Golf Digest named Los Cabos one of the world’s top 15 golf destinations.
Where to Golf?
- Palmilla Golf Club – 6,900 yards, Par 72: The 27 hole Jack Nicklaus signature course is by far the most picturesque golf experience in all of Los Cabos. Located in San Jose Del Cabo, three 9-hole courses (Arroyo Nine, Mountain Nine, and Ocean Nine) sprawl across the desert landscape with panoramic views of the Sea of Cortez. Greens fees range from $140 in the offseason up to $220 during peak season. If you tee off for a “Twilight” game, the rates range from $80-$160, an amazing value for the gorgeous layout and challenging course at Palmilla. http://www.palmillagc.com
- The Dunes Golf Course at Diamante – 7,300 yards, Par 72: The latest and greatest addition to the lineup of championship golf courses in Los Cabos is the Diamante at the Dunes. The course opened in 2010 and was designed by 20-time PGA tour winner Davis Love III. Just six miles north of Cabo San Lucas, the course is situated on giant white sandy dunes mixed with the picturesque desert landscape of Cabo and views of the Pacific Ocean. The ocean front golf course is one of the top rated grand openings in the world for 2010. With a slope of 146 and an often windy environment, this is one of the most challenging courses in all of Cabo. Greens fees for this brand new championship course will cost between $200-$275. http://www.diamantecabosanlucas.com/
- Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course – 7,103 yards, Par 72: The top rated golf course in the Los Cabos area is another Jack Nicklaus signature course. Nicklaus designed his own Pebble Beach on the gorgeous coast of Baja California overlooking the Sea of Cortez. The 5th and 17th holes are consistently ranked in the world’s best and the mile long course offers the most spectacular ocean views. Green fees range from as low as $180 in the summer and $355 during high season. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_ocean.html
- Cabo Del Sol Desert Course – 7,100 yards, Par 72: This is the second highest rated golf course in the Los Cabos corridor and was masterfully designed by Tom Weiskopf. The unique layout covers the picturesque Baja desert and every hole offers ocean views in the distance. The challenging course has multiple elevation changes and dramatic bunkering to make it an exciting day of golf for even the most experienced golfers. Greens fees range from $150-$255, making it one of the best golf values in Cabo. http://www.cabodelsol.com/content/golf_desert.html
- Cabo Real Golf Cub – 7,037 yards, Par 72: Robert Trent Jones II created a masterpiece with the Cabo Real golf course that is home to the toughest front nine of golf in Los Cabos. Home to two PGA Senior Slams and several other prestigious golf tournaments, the course is famous for having a spectacular show from grey whales breaching just offshore during the 1996 Senior Slam. This course is a must visit destination for any avid golfer. Greens fees range from $140-$280 depending on the time of day and year. http://www.caboreal.com/Cabo_Real/Golf.html
- Puerto Los Cabos Golf Club – 7,461 yards, Par 73: Two of the world’s best golf course designers worked to create one of the newest and most challenging courses in Cabo. Opening only in 2007, the Gerg Norman designed front nine will be the private course winding through the desert landscape while the Jack Nicklaus Signature 9 hole course will be open to guests and finish of the 18 hole championship course overlooking the vast Sea of Cortez. Golfers will be able to experience the difference in design philosophies from the two legendary designers. Greens fees range from $150-$195. http://www.puertoloscabos.com/golf.php
- Club Campestre San Jose Golf Course – 7,055 yards, Par 71: Another championship golf course surrounded by picture perfect vistas of Los Cabos and the Sea of Cortez. Designed by Jack Nicklaus and opened in 2007, the challenging course offers panoramic views, dramatic elevation changes, and 365 days of Baja California sunshine. The course is also the first to feature the paspalum grass that remains healthier in the Cabo desert climate. Greens fees range from $135-$220 but keep an eye out for special promotions. http://www.clubcampestresanjose.com/en/campo-de-golf-san-jose-del-cabo.html
- El Dorado Golf Club – 7,050 yards, Par 72: A private golf club designed by the master himself Jack Nicklaus and located beachfront in Cabo San Lucas. The stunning ocean and lake views from all 18 holes have made this one of the top rated private golf clubs in the world and the difficult terrain make it challenging for even the best golfers. Greens fees start at $168 and go up to $246 during peak season. http://www.eldoradogolfandbeachclub.com/golf/
- Cabo San Lucas Country Club – 7,220 yards, Par 72: A Dye designed 18-hole golf course famous for its views of the popular Land’s End Arch. The breathtaking course flows through groves of Palo Blanco trees and stately Cardon cacti, providing a serene desert landscape. The beauty of the course is equally matched by its difficulty, highlighted by the 610 yard, par 5, hole number 7. The country club not only offers one of the finest locations with Land’s End views, but also some of the best greens fees in all of Cabo. You can play a few rounds during your vacation with greens fees ranging from $109-$185 and as low as $79 during twilight hours. (caution: this course is located next to a water recycling plan and there have been several complains of a foul odor while golfing) http://www.golfincabo.com/
- Mayan Palace Golf Los Cabos – 3,141 yards, Par 35: A great alternative to the numerous championship courses nearby is the short 9 hole municipal course that offers a fun golfing experience for beginner-intermediate golfers. The course is situated right in the heart of San Jose Del Cabo and has great views of the Sea of Cortez. The greens fees are the cheapest in all of Los Cabos at only $54-$100/person but make sure to plan in advance because it is often crowded. http://www.cabo-golfing.com/campo-de-golf-fonatur.htm
- Querencia Private Golf Club – 7,070 yards, Par 72: One of the world leading designers, Tom Fazio, created a masterpiece that incorporates nature and expansive ocean views in what was his first championship golf course outside the United States. Located in the Los Cabos corridor with a slope of 145, the course winds throughout the hilly coast and creates a very private feeling amongst the nature. The course is perfect from hole one through 18, with spectacular views from every hole. The private club requires an annual membership.
What it cost: Green fees and other costs will add up to around $200-$300 during peak season but you can find rates for under $100 at the best courses during “twilight” hours. Golf club rentals will cost about $40 and extra fees will include taxes and gratuity that are not included in the price. Be sure to plan on food and beverage expenses as well, you will want a few cervezas throughout the day especially once it heats up.
Cabo Golf Tips
- International Golf Card: Save money in advance by signing up for the International Golf Card. With the membership, you will be able to save up to 20% at several of the popular Cabo San Lucas golf courses like Campo Del Golf and Club Campestre. If you just play two rounds of golf or more in Los Cabos per year, this card will save you money.
- Extra Golf Balls: Unlike your favorite golf course at home, most of the golf courses in Cabo San Lucas are very challenging and will eat up your golf balls extremely fast. With cliffs, lakes, oceans, cactus, and much more, you should plan on losing a few golf balls. Before heading out for the day, buy a few extra balls.
- Skip the summer heat: Summer is a great time to travel to Cabo San Lucas, but the midday heat can be a little extreme for a round of golf. If you are vacationing during July or August, be sure to book the earliest tee time possible and you will likely have perfect weather. Hustle back to your resort’s pool by the time the heat really kicks in around 2pm.
- Dress Code: The standard golf club dress code still applies in Cabo San Lucas so be sure to pack the right outfit or plan on buying clothes when you arrive in town. Just because you can go everywhere else in board shorts doesn’t mean you can play golf in them.
WOW! There is so much I can say about our wonderful trip to Cabo and it all started with the superb service we received from Bob Easton! Bob took me under his wing and put up with my MANY emails which were loaded with questions. As our arrival date drew closer, Bob kept up with my questions, responding every so quickly, completely, and honestly. The transaction for booking the room was handled flawlessly and without incident.
I did quite a bit of preparation for our trip, but the one thing I was the MOST relaxed about was knowing where we were staying. Book a room through Bob and you WILL NOT be sorry! Villa del Palmar is MUCHO FABULOSO! The accommodations and resort are truly luxurious and the service is wonderful. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and did not leave for the first two days we loved it so much.
You will get the best value when you book through Bob Easton and I would definitely book with Bob again! A perfect 10!
Overall Rating : Best
Derek Berndt, Atlanta Georgia
I wanted to thank you for everything you did to help out with our trip. We had a wonderful time and 1208 was in a very convenient place. I will be contacting you very soon to book for 2012 and we either need a bigger unit or will be booking two 2 bedroom units.
We had a great time at Villa Del Arco! The resort is beautiful and our room was really nice. We will definitely be back. When we checked in were told we had 2 free buffet breakfasts, that was a nice surprise as we were not expecting it. My husband and I really liked the gym. They had a number of really nice cardio machines and a nice selection of weight machines. The spa is fabulous!
We've also decided that Cabo is only the only place to stay in Mexico. The weather was absolutely beautiful. Thanks for all your help!
Paula S., Richfield, MN
I'm finally getting caught up after vacation and wanted to let you both know that we had a great time in Cabo. I'm so glad I talked to Bob as we originally had reservations through a travel agent for the Villa del Pal Mar. Although we enjoyed a few dinners at the beachside restaurant at Pal Mar we would have regretted staying in the hotel. The rooms from the outside looked worn and the poolside spring break atmosphere would have ruined the trip. Villa del Arco on the other hand was wonderful. I don't know that it's worth the price they want directly (although their signature services definitely help) but Destination Vacations made it a perfect deal. The only thing I wished I would have known ahead of time was that everyone in Cabo, beach venders included, wanted US cash. No need for pesos there, just the opposite in Puerto Vallarta. Restaurants we feel that are not to be missed are Mi Casa, Los Deseos and Hacienda Cocina Y Cantina.
Thank you for a wonderful trip. When we decide it's time to go back to Cabo we'll definitely be calling Destination Vacations!
Pam L., Seattle
A HUGE thank you for our wonderful visit in villa 1208. Our week couldn't have been better! The weather has been picture perfect and with 6 of us- 4 being Senior girls on Spring Break- The villa's floor plan was just right for us. This is our 4th visit to Cabo and plan to be back in July. So YES, we feel right at home here, so perhaps villa 1208 may be our "home away from home" in July!!! Villa 1208 is beautiful and we could not ask for anymore ! (Excellent taste) We appreciate you Bob for all of your help. the staff also at Estancia has been wonderful. Pamela, Amy, Gracie- Tulsa Alexandra, Katey, Belotah-Dallas Texas
Clouds and drizzle broke up within hours of our arrival and weather was fantastic throughout the trip. Estancia was all great as was our transportation with Lucas and our encounters with Jose, Arturo and Miguel in regard to the whale watching on La Gringa (as well as the experience itself) ---- all excellent. Everyone was friendly and most accommodating. Thank you for assisting us with a memorable trip. Bob and all.
Bob B., Lincoln, NB
I Loved It!! All of the staff is amazing there. Two of my waiters by the pool were Juan and Raymundo and they were great, I loved water aerobics everyday with Hugo and the entire entertainment staff at night was funny and very enjoyable!! Also, Bagous, the cook at the Japanese restaurant was so good!
I had such a good time and enjoyed Cabo so much I am now looking to relocate there!
Thank you for your response, I wanted to make sure everyone got the credit they deserve!!
The rental was fabulous! The place exceeded our expectations. We had a great time and everything went smoothly from our transportation to the resort as well as the entire stay. There is nothing that I would improve upon. I am looking forward to booking our next Cabo vacation through you. I have recommended you to several people who asked how I found the place.
Thanks Michelle N.
I travel a lot, but had never been to Mexico before. I found Villa del Palmar on the website and contacted Bob Easton. All arrangements and questions were handled quickly and honestly! I truly believe that we stayed in the best room Villa del Palmar had to offer! Everything about the experience was literally perfect! You need to stay here!
And, as far as I am concerned, Bob Easton went above and beyond the call of duty!
Service:10 - best
Value:10 - best
Attractiveness:10 - best
Overall Rating:10 - best
Lisa Palmer, Seattle Washington
We had a lovely time at the property. The location was great and it was so quiet. The security of the property was wonderful as well. I would tell anyone traveling with family that Villa la Estancia is an excellent choice